Ok, That's a good posting spark, Becca. A day in the life. Hmmm. Well, our weekend and week is a bit different here. Our weekend is Friday and Saturday and the workweek is Sunday through Thursday. That said, it takes some getting used to, but I think it makes the week move faster. Tuesday is halfway through the week and before you know it, Friday has rolled around again. I still refer to things with reference to Sunday, such as, "Get your nice sunday dresses out." And the girls say, "Hey, it's Friday, Mommy."
A regular day begins at about 6:30 am. Even Jacqueline gets up at that time. Usually they keep busy in the playroom until 7 and then things get rolling. While Eliza gets her uniform on, I make lunches in the kitchen and Grant torments Mairyn and Jacqueline is usually in her high chair ecstatic that I have placed Cheerios in front of her. Once lunches are made, the kids sit down to some cereal while we have our morning scripture study and prayers. Then Eliza's driver comes at about 7:40 am to pick her up and take her to school. After she leaves, I usually run back and get the contacts in, shower and dress. 8:30 am: I walk Mairyn to her preschool. Sometimes I take both Grant and Jacqueline, it depends on if ReRe (our housekeeper) is home. By the time I get back, it is naptime for Jacqueline and she naps from about 9:30 to 11:30. The rest of the mornings really vary, depending on what needs to be done. Since nothing opens before 10 or 11, I check emails (or blog!) and read the news on Drudgereport.com, Reuters, NY Times, and look up things I need to on Wikipedia. About 10 or 10:30, I sometimes take Grant over to Maadi House to play. It is a private American club that has a big playground, yard and swimming pools. They also have a restaurant that is open from 12pm to 9pm.
I try to run to the commissary when ReRe is around and leave the kids with her. The commissary is the military grocery store. There, I can get anything I want from the states. Or Germany. This yogurt they have is the best! Some mornings I am consumed with projects for Young Women's or tracking down the maintenance guys to get something fixed here at the apartment, but mornings are so unpredictable, I just take them as they come. Even the mornings that Jacqueline decides to not nap and she is the baby from you-know-where and we get nothing done, that's how it goes down. Grant naps at about noon. So then Jacqueline and I have some time together, lunch and/or run down to Road 9 to get fruit or something. Road 9 is the business road; there are hardware shops, produce stands, grocery shops, shoe and clothing stores, flower shops. Geez, I sound like a representative for Bubba Gump. " . . . grilled shrimp, boiled shrimp, shrimp gumbo, shrimpy shrimp, shrimp and beans. Anyway, it's a busy strip of town.
I go and pick up Mairyn from preschool between 2:30 and 2:45. Eliza gets home at 3. Then, on Sundays, they have dance class. Other afternoons, we go to Maadi House or CAC. Cairo American College. It's the American school (Eliza goes to the British school, btw) and they have playgrounds, a track, and football and soccer fields. Sometimes we swim or just stay at home if they feel like it. We have dinner at about 5:30 and Spencer is sometimes there, 6 is when he comes through the door. The evenings vary as well. Tuesday nights I'm busy with the Young Women, Mondays or Wednesdays we have Family Home Evening, and every Thursday night I have a date with Dr. House! Bedtime is about 7:30 and then Spencer and I get some evening together before we hit the sack between 10:30 or 11.
And that's a day. Sometimes we lace in day or night trips to the Pyramids, the Egyptian museum, Khan el Khalili, Moqattam hills, etc. I don't go to the touristy places as often, pretty much just when I have tourists with me. Last week I went to this organization that teaches women a craft, whether it be weaving on a loom, sewing or making paper. They teach them, then they supply them for a while and then they make the craft themselves and sell from the charity store front or on their own. I got some woven rugs for the halls and kitchen and I got the girls these little braided purses. They also make quilts and cloth story books, christmas things, and variety of other crafts. And then two weeks ago we had a holiday in the middle of the week, so we took the kids to the desert and went camping!
So, I tried to include explanations of where and what things were. Although I did get jealous when Becca mentioned just running to Wal-Mart or somewhere. Wal-Mart.com is nice, but I have to wait for my stuff, and they don't have everything on there. Ok, until next time!
No comments:
Post a Comment