Sunday, October 18, 2009

Death by Chocolate (Cake)

Tonight we invited some friends over for dinner, and we thought it was a great opportunity to show off our Baked Ziti skills. The ziti was a hit. But of course, when you have guests, dinner isn't enough -- you have to have dessert. I got this recipe from a friend at work.


Death By Chocolate Cake
1 pkg devil's food cake mix or just chocolate cake mix
1 small package fudge or chocolate instant pudding mix
3 eggs
1 1/4 cup water
1/2 cup oil
1 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips

Mix together cake mix, pudding, eggs, water, and oil in a large bowl. Beat until moistened and then beat at medium speed for 2 minutes. Stir in chocolate chips by hand. Scoop the batter into a greased and floured bundt pan. Bake 40-50 minutes on 350. (Baking time depends on your oven, the kind of pan you use, etc., so start checking it at 40 minutes.) Cool in pan for at least 10 minutes, then flip.

For frosting, I melted store-bought chocolate frosting and poured it over top. It worked great. However, I learned an important lesson. When you pour the frosting over top of a bundt cake, it goes everywhere, and it makes a pool in the middle of the cake. So my advice is put the cake on a cookie sheet to frost it, then when the frosting hardens, transfer the cake to the platter or whatever dish you're going to serve it from.

This cake is rich, moist, and delicious. Perfect with a glass of cold milk. We still have 3/4 of the cake left, and let me tell you, we could polish that off in no time. I should probably take it to work tomorrow...

2 comments:

Becca said...

I'd sure like a big slice of that cake right about now... mmmmmm... :)

Chelsey said...

Don't worry, Becca, I've eaten enough of it for everyone!