This isn't a new recipe for Bryan and me, but I don't think it's one I have posted here before, so it counts, right? I know there are a zillion recipes for taco soup. In fact, this recipe is sort of my own creation -- I came up with it by adapting a recipe from a friend of mine. It was cold and rainy outside this weekend, and I can think of no better way to warm up than some hearty soup.
Taco Bean Soup
1 lb. ground beef (or turkey)
1 large can tomato sauce
1 can tomato soup
1 can diced tomatoes
1 jar salsa (get it as spicy or mild as you like)
1 can corn (drained)
1 can kidney beans (drained)
1 envelope taco seasoning
Brown hamburger and season to taste. In a pot, combine the contents of all the cans. Add browned hamburger. Add taco seasoning to taste (we usually use about 1/3 - 1/2 of the envelope). Heat over medium high heat until heated through, stirring occasionally. Serve with tortilla chips (we like Tostito's Scoops), shredded cheese, and sour cream (if you like sour cream, which we don't). It also goes great with a side of corn bread. We made corn bread muffins from a mix, and they were a great side for this meal.
The beauty of this recipe is that it is very simple, and very easy to scale up. If you have more people coming, just add some more tomato soup or tomato sauce. But just keep in mind that because this soup is really heavy, a little goes a long way. Bryan is not a big fan of kidney beans, so I make it without, but it's still delicious. It makes great leftovers, too. Just make sure you buy plenty of cheese and chips!
1 comment:
Oh yes, it is the best hearty, warming, filling comfort soup! Hmm, I may have to make it this week! Thanks Chels!
Post a Comment